Cottesloe Beach: A Momentary Escape


It was a late Thursday morning when I woke up to my housemates gearing up for a trip to Cottesloe Beach. It was a discussion we had a night before which I seem to have forgotten the next day. I saw my roommate standing at the edge of the bed, patiently waiting for me to wake up so we can start our journey. Little did I know that it would be an unforgettable one.

And this is my lovely roommate, basking in the beauty of the sun
We started off planning the trip to start at 10 in the morning, but due to my lack of ability to wake up on time, it was moved to 11 in the morning. However, before we can go off and step out of the door, one of our housemates wanted to come with us so we decided to push the trip a bit later than expected.

And then, it was four...
By this time, my head was already in a panic. I was clear with my lack of availability by half past 3 in the afternoon and pushing the trip even a few minutes further could mean coming home later than the initial plan. It was not something I can afford. So, I was anxious all throughout. It didn't go unnoticed and it wasn't until we jetted off that my heart stopped palpitating.


The trip was not as smooth as we thought it would be. We took a different route than what Google had suggested, and again, the anxiety in me just kept on growing. When we missed the train, my heart was near to sinking. I almost backed out. I thought that maybe, today wasn't meant for me. Maybe, I should just go home. But when the next train arrived just a few minutes later, I dropped all my worries and just went with it.

I told myself that this anxiety has made me miss a number of pivotal moments in my life. We passed by a beautiful garden with a sea of strange flowers and I didn't even stop and gave a glance or two. I was too caught up by the destination that I didn't even bother to enjoy the view.

That's when it hit me. I needed this. Not because I've wanted to go to the beach since I could remember, but because I needed to get away just for a little while. I needed an escape. I needed to breathe.

And this was it.

So, after missing our stop and having to wait for the train heading back to Cottesloe, we're finally a few meters away from our destination. Walking under the blazing sun was not easy, but the view made the trek satisfying. The towering pine trees filled with pink-colored birds overwhelmed my heart with excitement. I didn't notice the cold breeze overpowering the heat because of the vast golf-course filled with a variety of wildflowers.The buzz of the city is like a memory in the past now, and I couldn't be happier.

By the time we got to the shore, it was a whole new world for me.


The harsh sun was nothing as compared to the sound of the ocean. The waves seemed to whisk away all your worries as it hits the shore every passing minute. It was bliss. It was peace.


And I'm not the only one who thinks so. All of us were in awe of the magnificence that is Cottesloe Beach. While we barely had a chance to roam around, the view right in front of us summed it up pretty well- Cottesloe Beach is stunning.


The sky almost touched the ocean as if it's one and the same. The crystal clear water was almost unfathomable to the eyes; it was blinding. It was serene to an almost impossible probability, I started to think I was dreaming.


It can't be real. After all, how can something this breath-taking could be real? But I was there. And as I close my eyes and feel the wind, I knew that it was real. And I can only wish to stay a little longer than planned.


- to stand a little longer on top of the rocks and let the wind cool my skin as I bathe in the sun
- to watch the five-year old dig deeper as he tries to make a tunnel made of sand
- to be amazed at the back flips and the cartwheels of a bunch of teenagers
- to listen to music as we let time just pass us by
- to just be there
... for a few more seconds, a few more minutes, a few more hours, maybe a few days...



But alas, the alarm rings and the phone chimes. It was time to go back or I would miss my time. Though it was not what I wanted, I had to go. It broke my heart every second that I had to leave this paraiso.



Hence, until next time Cottesloe Beach. You will always be in mind until our next encounter.


ZIA

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Oh my goodness. I remember Cottlesloe is just right after Leighton Beach where Shin, Breanna and I went. We should've gone a little farther! Haha You better take me there when I return next year! :D And bring some friends. HAHAHAHA!

    ReplyDelete