Widows & Orphans: A Quick Look Into Booklet Design


I have never imagined how much work goes into making a booklet or a brochure. Being always surrounded by magazines and leaflets- seeing that it is somewhat my obsession to hoard random booklets from everywhere, it has never occurred to me how every single detail in it has been carefully thought out to the point of insanity. Everything, in a sense, is made up of formulas or calibrated to a certain degree in order to look visually appealing. But despite its laborious tediousness, I love it. The roller-coaster of making a spread, creating and trashing concepts while witnessing the deadline crash on you by the minute is such an exhilarating ride that I am having a hard time to accept that it's over. However, I must admit that seeing the final result has brought a sense of pride in me. I mean, after all, I did it. I DID THIS.


The idea of the contents page literally jumped out of my mind and into the paper (computer, in this case). It was an idea that didn't even brush my thoughts until the very last minute. It was a spur of the moment creation in which I am incredibly proud of, to be honest. You can even say it's my favorite page of all, but that's being biased considering that they are all my babies. Yes, I treat them like my children (not that I have one nor do I want one, for the love of all that is holy! Bite me.). How can you not? You've poured your heart and soul into making this concept a reality. The least you can do is be proud of how it turned out to be!

And I am.

The CMYK concept made the design dynamic visually pleasing, but coherent. Although, it wasn't all sunshine and rainbows when it comes to playing with this theme. Too much of it can make the design look tacky and unappealing while using less of it can reflect an imbalance throughout the whole design. I can't even keep count on how many times I've gotten to finishing a design concept, only to throw it away because of an off-element or because it doesn't look put together.


Nonetheless, despite the grueling journey into making my very first booklet, I can't complain. It has given me valuable knowledge and lessons along the way. I learned how to use grids, know the rules and how to break them. I was confronted with trivial decisions which can make a big impact on the design - if considered. I realized how one element can create an entirely different perspective if given a chance. And most of all, as if life was talking to me directly through design, everything is connected. Everything has a place- in design and in this world. Everything is a well thought-out process combined with some gut feeling, intuition (are they the same thing?) and a ton of faith in yourself.















Mind you, it was not an easy road. It took a lot of sleepless nights and missed social events to get to the design I envisioned in my mind. For a second there, I even second-guessed if it was worth it. But then you see it printed on paper, all bounded and ready for your lecturer's discerning eye, that you start to realize how fulfilling the whole process has been. How every hour you spent sitting in front of the computer was just as unforgettable as your possible night out dancing with friends. It was just as great as your missed sunbathing session at the beach on the weekend and it was just as incredible as that surfing lesson you had to skip on at Brighton Beach. It was worth it.


Because the beach, the pubs, the late night parties, the surfing lessons... It's always gonna be there. There's always gonna be a next time.

But this... The experience, the process, the creation, the trial and error, the knowledge, the skill, the feeling... You can't replicate that. You can't copy that. You can't have that back.

And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Always,
ZIA


You Might Also Like

0 comments